Here in Cartagena, it’s carnival season. Cartagena declared independance from Spain on this day in 18–? and now we party to commemorate it.
I haven’t been out and about ‘enjoying’ the festivities, but some of my eleventh graders are taking me out this afternoon. Here’s what we have to look forward to:
- being splashed with water
- being dusted with corn powder
- being sprayed with foam
- being doused with Kola Roman (bright red and 150% sugar I’m pretty sure)
- being splashed? by something blue that my students were not accurately able to describe to me in English.
- bus routes being funky and hooligans throwing water at you while you’re on the bus
- parts of the city being shut down/closed off
- parades? maybe?
- Miss Colombia beauty contest, pretty sure we aren’t invited to that
- lots and lots of picos
- increased risk of pickpocketing
And most importantly:
- no more classes!
- (what am I going to do with all this free time?)